Slider

Auschwitz Concentration Camp

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Today we visited Auschwitz Concentration Camp.  Having heard so much about this historical place, I was very intrigued as to what I would see and learn.  
                              




Entrance near the gate




Zyklon B canisters - This is the pesticide used in the gas chambers.


Belongings of disabled persons who were taken to the camp

Shoes 


Hairbrushes 

Eyeglasses 

Dinnerware

Suitcases

Prisoners of Auschwitz








Cells


Crematorium




Upon arrival, it was a little confusing as to where we needed to go.  There was a lack of signage.  After going through security, we received headphones and a receiver for our tour.  We took an English Guided Tour, which cost and was supposed to last three hours.  Once our guide approached, she took a survey of where everyone was from, and we were the only native English speakers on the tour, which was a little odd.  Once the tour began, my headset didn't work very well, which made the tour difficult but nowhere near as difficult as how things are organized.  There are many tour groups going at once and everyone is in the same buildings, so you really do not have a chance to read any of the information plaques and you are also constantly waiting for the group in front of you to go on.  Our guide basically just told us what we were looking at, which I could have just read.  I was surprised to see the majority of Auschwitz is a museum.  By that I mean most of the buildings have been converted into exhibits and some of the historical structures, such as the gate, are not original.  Having visited other Concentration Camps I was disappointed with my visit.  I found other Concentration Camps to be much less crowded and have more interesting exhibits.  I recommend visiting Camp Mauthausen over Aushwitz.


After leaving Auschwitz, we drove to Prague, Czech Republic.  Prague is a beautiful city.

Czech Republic Border



Prague Mall




We finally found the strawberry Vienetta Ice Cream Cake.  It was good!  It reminded me of Neapolitan ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan